[CLAM] ZIP files of CLAM applications source code + possible additions

Xavier Amatriain xamat at iua.upf.es
Thu Dec 22 09:52:41 PST 2005

Hi Koen,

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 16:11 +0100, Koen Tanghe wrote:
> We have a free library version, but the GPL doesn't allow to link
> with non-GPL-compatible code (not even DLL's from what I read), so the only
> way to do it without opening the source code would be to modify the
> Voice2MIDI source code and add in a system call to a standalone
> transcription module and then read in the output of that application back
> into Voice2MIDI (not a nice "integration" but anyway...)

What do you mean by "free library version"? Do you mean that you don't
charge any money for this version? If I understand right it is not open
source, right?

> Would the CLAM team feel something for adding in a check to see if the MAMI
> melody transcriber is available, and then if that is the case, give the user
> the choice to use that instead of the CLAM one, and then do a fork/execute
> of our tool and read in the generated output file to be used as pitch
> detectoin results?
> It's just that you seem to have already built a nice working interface, and
> we seem to have a nice working transcription module. Could be a nice
> combination. Just a thought. What do you think?

We would definitely love to support the MAMI transcriber from CLAM. But
if, as I mentioned earlier, it is not GPL or not even open source... it
is difficult for us to invest resources into that task. I suggest that
you and Marc either reconsider opening up the source code or you work
the solution you mention yourself by accessing the source code that we
provide.

Regards