[CLAM] fftw and configure

Miguel Ramírez Jávega mramirez at iua.upf.es
Mon Jul 4 08:19:06 PDT 2005

Hi,

> it needs "fftw.h" file and I did not have it on my system. So I
> figured out that newest version of fftw is not compatible with the
> one CLAM uses (all what I write about I tested with both 0.7.0 and
> 0.8.0.pre2).

You can find the full list of dependencies for CLAM-0.7.0 at chapter II,
section 13 of CLAM manual. For CLAM 0.8, the dependencies added were:
* oscpack
* portmidi
* portaudio

which are all optional (can be disabled by specifying --without-*
directives to configure script).

> Then I tried many different options: First I downloaded the fftw
> available at CLAM download page 2.1.5 for redhat (I use fedora core
> 3 for this). Strangely, after unpacking there are some files in lib,
> but they were not detected by the configure script. I had to make a
> symbolic link "libfftw.so -> libfftw.so.2.0.7" for one library to be
> detected, but still there is nothing like librfftw, which seems also
> necessary. So the script shows (after linking):
>
> checking fftw.h for fftw in sandbox... yes
> checking fftw header(s) found in sandbox... yes
> checking libfftw for fftw in sandbox... yes
> checking librfftw for fftw in sandbox... no
> checking all fftw lib(s) found in sandbox... no

That package seems to be broken - it lacks "half" of fftw and there
seems to be some issue with not creating symbolic links for the binaries
(something the package should have done by itself). We will remove it
from the download page as soon as possible.

Nonetheless, you should purge your system of files installed by that
package, and *especially* remove any symbolic links you made.

> Now this is about sandbox, but the bigger problem is to get all
> those files in my system default places. After version 3.x I
> downloaded fftw-2.1.5.tar.gz from fftw.org and executed
> "./configure", "make" and "make install", but it did not help --
> still during "./configure" in CLAM's build directory it does not
> pass the test of compiling the fftw example.
>

> Next I read in the documentation that both single and double
> precision fftw is neede, so I did what they say on fftw.org:
>
> ./configure --enable-type-prefix [ other options ]
> make
> make install
> make clean
> ./configure --enable-float --enable-type-prefix [ other options ]
> make
> make install
>
> But still CLAM's ./configure was failing.

You correctly guessed, that safest way to install fftw in FC is
installing from the lib sources. Maybe you could try to tell fftw's
configure script to install in '/usr/lib':

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-float --enable-type-prefix

> Still both CLAM versions fail during ./configure, the only
> difference is that the 0.7.0 stops at fftw and 0.8.0-pre2 goes
> through all of the dependencies even if some fails.

That's because the configure stuff was completely reworked for CLAM-0.8
so it didn't croak when the first dependency failed.

> Could someone tell me what would be the proper way of getting fftw
> installed? Why if I extract the fftw tarball from CLAM website I
> still need to make some links that are not mentioned in any manual?

Summing up:

1) Purge your system of any traces of packages you have installed (or
tried to install) previously
2) Install fftw from sources issuing the command above mentioned.

If that does not work, just drop a message.

> I've been sitting several days with that problem now and I am close
> to give up. Is there some 'best way' of getting CLAM installed? Does

You could have tried asking for help in the list much sooner ;)

Miguel Ramírez.