[CLAM] Help needed to understand how to create an 8 bit u-law wave file

Xavier Amatriain xamat at iua.upf.es
Fri May 13 11:13:38 PDT 2005

Hi Marty,

Could you send us a bit more code of what you are trying to do? From your
mail I don't quite get it.

All I can say that as for PCM sound formats, all we are doing is to wrap
the great libsndfile library[1]. So, if the format is accepted by
libsndfile it should work in CLAM. Unless you are doing something wrong or
we have a bug ;)

[1] http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/#Features

> Dear Clam users,
>

> I tried to modify the audiofilewriting example program to try to create
> an 8 bit u-law wave file.
>

> I added the dynamic var Encoding to the audiofileformat object,
>
> update data,
>
> EAudioFileEncoding myEncoding("u-law");
>
> setEncoding(myEncoding);
>
> update data;
>

> but I still get a 16 bit wave that doesn't sound any different from not
> putting these commands in.
>

> Forgive me if there is a later example that shows how to do this. I am
> just getting familiar with CLAM.
>
> I need to be able to create both 16 bit linear pcm and 8 bit mu-law
> files. Any brief example of how to do this would help greatly.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Marty

   Xavier Amatriain
 Music Technology Group