NetworkEditor taking too much cpu in Mac OSX (Re: [CLAM] Re: CLAM digest, Vol 1 #235 - 2 msgs)

Stephane LETZ letz at grame.fr
Tue Feb 14 11:45:44 PST 2006

Le 14 févr. 06 à 20:26, Pau Arumi a écrit :

> En/na Stéphane Letz ha escrit:
>
> I've tried to reproduced it and I can't get the Mac to hang.
> But I do can increase the cpu usage up to 50%
> I'm very Mac-ignorant maybe it's related that my machine is
> dual processor (2*1GHz, osx 10.4.4)  ?

Hi Pau,

Maybe/probably. You can deactivate the second processor if you
install the CHUD tools.

I was testing on  a PowerBook G4. I'll test on a dual G5 tomorow.

> The point is that NetworkEditor started as default (using
> alsa/coreaudio) works in a blocking way. But if you start
> the network without any AudioIn or AudioOut the processing
> thread is doing a void loop. Once you add one of these
> it should decrease the CPU usage dramatically.
>
> So I assume that your "hang" is an effect of this void loop.
> Is this behaviour dangerous in Mac OSX ? Processes can get real-
> time priority by default?

Well if the "void loop" is called in a thread "connected" to the
audio io (through PortAudio or CoreAudio) then it will hang of course...

What is the I/O system used on OSX?

> Any ideas on how to avoid it will be welcomed
>

>>> Have you tried NetworkEditor as jack client?
>>> NetworkEditor -d jack
>>> You'll need to create external sources and sinks in your patch,
>>> like this: http://clam.iua.upf.edu/Screenshots/clam-network-
>>> externals.jpg
>>>

> Using jack or portaudio should work fine...

./NetworkEditor -d jack
Using JACK input/output driver.
   Don't use any AudioOut.
Qt: QApplication: Warning argv[0] == './NetworkEditor' is relative.
In order to dispatch events correctly Mac OS X may require
applications to be run with the *full* path to the executable.

Then  starting the network does not hang anymore, the Jack client
seem to be opened correctly, although i d'ont see any jack port.... I

> BTW, I know the UI of networkeditor is hard to use in mac.
> One trick is to make port connections: one click in the source
> and one click in the destination, even no line is shown till the
> second click.

Ok. Thanks

Stephane