NetworkEditor taking too much cpu in Mac OSX (Re: [CLAM] Re: CLAM digest, Vol 1 #235 - 2 msgs)

Pau Arumi parumi at iua.upf.es
Tue Feb 14 11:26:14 PST 2006

En/na Stéphane Letz ha escrit:
>>> 2) I have a weird behaviour when using the CLAM network editor.
>>> Starting the Network (Start Network in Network Actions menu) just
>>> hang the machine during several second, up to stopping running
>>> audio/ video applications... as if something very heavy was done  in
>>> a real- time thread.

I've tried to reproduced it and I can't get the Mac to hang.
But I do can increase the cpu usage up to 50%
I'm very Mac-ignorant maybe it's related that my machine is
dual processor (2*1GHz, osx 10.4.4)  ?

The point is that NetworkEditor started as default (using
alsa/coreaudio) works in a blocking way. But if you start
the network without any AudioIn or AudioOut the processing
thread is doing a void loop. Once you add one of these
it should decrease the CPU usage dramatically.

So I assume that your "hang" is an effect of this void loop.
Is this behaviour dangerous in Mac OSX ? Processes can get
real-time priority by default?
Any ideas on how to avoid it will be welcomed

>> Have you tried NetworkEditor as jack client?
>> NetworkEditor -d jack
>> You'll need to create external sources and sinks in your patch,  like
>> this: http://clam.iua.upf.edu/Screenshots/clam-network- externals.jpg

Using jack or portaudio should work fine...

BTW, I know the UI of networkeditor is hard to use in mac.
One trick is to make port connections: one click in the source
and one click in the destination, even no line is shown till the
second click.

Pau