[CLAM] Building CLAM in cygwin

Pau Arumi parumi at iua.upf.edu
Thu Oct 19 18:46:08 PDT 2006

Hi Dan,

Cygwin is not currently a supported platform.
So compiling in Cygwin is the hard path --which, on the other side,
would make a great contribution to the CLAM project.

You are getting .dylib just because scons thinks your platform is Mac.
So the platform detection should be fixed.

In Windows we link applications against CLAM static libs (not dynamic
ones like Linux and Mac). Windows library binaries (the CLAM ones and
external libs) are not published, though we can do it on request.
(Actually I don't have them with me, since David and I are in a
conference travel; you can remind us later, in a week or so.)

IFAIK Cygwin static libs use .a extension and not .lib like Visual. This
should be fixed in scons scripts.  As a hint, look at the

Moreover, I guess that Visual binaries, CLAM external libraries, are not
compatible with Cygwin, so you sould get native Cygwin libraries or
compilde them from source.
But maybe I'm totally wrong in that point...
Thus, the next step shold be modify the SConstruct (or SConscript) so
that it can build
correct libraries and link against them.

We'll try to help you if you get stuck in Win/Cygwin. However, remember
that CLAM is best supported in Linux.

Cheers,
  Pau

En/na Dan Morris ha escrit:
> Just about got CLAM and supporting libs to compile and link under
> cygwin, but during the final linking, I'm getting:
>
> /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
> cannot find -lclam_core
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> scons: *** [processing/clam_processing.0.91.0.dylib] Error 1
> scons: building terminated because of errors.
>
> Should there be a libclam_core.a built somewhere, or should it
> recognize and link against the (successfully built)
> libs/core/libclam_core.dylib?  Even if I put the latter in /usr/lib,
> it has the same problem.  If I create a file called libclam_core.a, it
> does find it and (of course) freaks out about the illegal .a file.  So
> it's definitely looking for libclam_core.a .  Any hints?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Dan

believed to be clean.