[CLAM] Network Editor: Looks fine but no action/sound?

David García Garzón dgarcia at iua.upf.edu
Sun Feb 25 12:08:25 PST 2007

Hi Johan.

Thanks for you interest in CLAM. We are currently on bugsquashing process
toward 1.0 so we are very interested on fixing this kind of bugs.

On Diumenge 25 Febrer 2007, Johan Ekenberg wrote:
> Hi
>
> After successfully building/installing CLAM + NetworkEditor on Gentoo
> Linux,

Gentoo, a new platform to deal with :-) Maybe you could add the wiki some
comments on the packages you needed to get clam compiled and so on, to help
other Gentoo users.

Important to know: svn, 0.98, compile options?

> I launch NetworkEditor. It looks good, but I can't get anything
> really working. I've tried all the examples. NetworkEditor says it's
> Playing through Jack. The connections in qjackctl look fine. Other
> applications work with Jack. But NetworkEditor is completely silent and
> doesn't appear to be doing anything. No error messages, no warnings, just
> silence. Also Graphical Monitors like Vumeters or Oscilloscopes show no
> trace of any signal processing going on, regardless of trying to play the
> supplied example-files, other audio files or receiving input from the
> microphone.

It may be a bug we recently detected: the flow control doesn't cope with
certain audio system buffer sizes. It leads to some token passing deadlock
and the results are the same you are saying. But we are still caracterizing
the problem so, you can help us a lot if you send us the jack setup and the
jack startup log (some jack setup values are just hints and the log is more
informative).

> I also tried Alsa (shutting down Jack and restarting NetworkEditor), but no
> luck there either.

Double check at the bottom right backend indicator that NetEditor is really
choosing Alsa and not JACK. Depending on JACK version it may have started
Jack by itself. If not it should have complaint about using a non Alsa
network in an Alsa setup, as Alsa still uses old MonoAudioFileReader/AudioOut
modules instead of AudioSource/AudioSink.

If you want to try with Alsa you could substitute Sources and Sinks. Or you
could enable PortAudio backend but it is still very buggy in Linux and not
asured to work at all.

> What can I do, I have no idea where to debug this?

Well, just to confirm my suspects, If you are compiling from the source and
you don't mind adding some traces, could you send me the output of
NetworkEditor when unquoting the trace at
CLAM/src/Flow/Networks/PushFlowControl.cxx:67 ?

To know whether the jack callback is even called you can add a trace at
CLAM/src/Flow/Networks/JACKNetworkPlayer.cxx:12

Dummiest examples are wire.clamnetwork and FilePlayer.clamnetwork

Hopefully, some discussion on this issue is going to happen this week on the
development list. I'll CC the interesting bits if you are not subscribed.

Thanks for the report.

(Home) vokimon at telefonica adot net