[CLAM] Real-time application

Pau Arumi parumi at iua.upf.edu
Wed Jul 18 02:24:01 PDT 2007

En/na Mr.SpOOn ha escrit:
> Hi,
> I'd like to create an application to record and play sounds in real time.
>
> I've never used CLAM, but I'd like to learn it, and I want to know if
> I can use it to create this application.
>
> My idea is to have the possibility of recording something (i.e. my
> hands clapping) and then have an object (a rectangle, for example) on
> the screen which represents that sample. For every sample I record, I
> have an object. For every object there is a menu where I can choose
> some options: how many times to play that sound, or how long to loop
> it... etc.
>
> And I'd like to have the possibility to link objects to create more
> complex objects or sequences.
>
> Is CLAM good for this?

Hi Carlo,

I don't have a definitive answer to your question.

The application you describe slightly resembles freewheeling. Which
is also GPL so you could build on it.
http://freewheeling.sourceforge.net/

Clam could be of help on the user-interface building (in case you
find Clam widgets useful), routing and processing. But I think
there is not much processing in your app, and the routing seems
fairly simple. Moreover, IMO the hard part of your app is the
application work-flow (i.e. first record a new sample, add a new
sample processing, then connect the player, choose the play mode,
then play it, etc.). And for this work-flow part Clam would be
of little help --other than abstracting the playing engine.

Cheers!
pau