[CLAM] using a flat text file as an input to a control

Pau Arumi parumi at iua.upf.edu
Tue May 15 03:04:58 PDT 2007

En/na JCIMS ha escrit:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to read a flat text file into a control so that i can steer a signal generater (e.g. pitch) with it?

Yes, with some programming.
You could program a simple processing with an out-control,
configured with the filename.
However, you might need to "sequence" such events on time. For
that you'd need to store the timestamps for each event, and add
an audio in-port to the processing in order to have a time
source.

A more direct solution is using the ControlTraceReader and
ControlTraceWriter classes (recently contributed Zach Welch)
which are available from NetworkEditor.
A CTR can be configured with a number of in-controls, and it
stores the its inputs for each execution in an xml file.
A CTW just sends the content written for a CTR.
However, this solution imply using xml instead of plain text and
it doesn't use timed information.

The third option is to send osc controls from an external
sequencer to any in-control in a network.
This osc feature however is broken at the moment but we should
fix it and write some how-to, at some point, so tell us if you
are interested on this.

pau