[CLAM] [clam-devel] Can CLAM be used to write such a piece of software?

Hernán Ordiales h at ordia.com.ar
Sat Mar 6 19:33:33 PST 2010

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys!
> I have stumbled upon CLAM. It looks like a very fundamental framework. But
> before diving into studying it, I would like to know whether it can really
> achieve my goal.
>
> Some time ago, when I was a Windows user, I used a BASS audio library to
> write software to help me in my ambient composing. The software is able to
> do several simple things - play a sound once, play a sound looped and also
> it was able to do a special function I've written for it, called random
> play. What it did was allow you to set a time period, during which a sound
> would be triggered once. As the sound would finish playing, the process
> would restart. So, in effect, what it did was trigger loops randomly. By
> changing the random play period, the musician can control, more or less, the
> frequency with which the sound would be triggered. So, if the random play
> period is 20 seconds, for the most time the sound would get triggered each
> 10 seconds or so - for the most part the random values would group around
> half of what the period is.
>
> By having several of these applications started, the musician would have a
> very cool soundscape forming in real time. You can see an example of this
> here:
> http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=software&t=tapeloops&a=tapeloops_tapeloops1
>
> Anyway, on Linux this doesn't run. Even under WINE. Also, I would love to
> use JACK for this.
>
> So, my question is this: can CLAM be used to create an application of that
> sort? With a random seed and a timer to trigger the loaded sound?

Yes, of course, but for your application i think you need a lot less.
Since you have random seeds and timers in all common programming
languages, i think you only need a library to load sounds of common
formats and other to play them (in other words, in linux, libsndfile
and jack would suffice if your choice is c or c++). OTOH, CLAM is a
big library more oriented to analysis, processing and synthesis with
emphasis on realtime and prototyping. Even is more than a library,
it's a complete dev framework. In your case i think it could help you
with its easy of use, the already available examples and GUI
prototyping or development, if you are already experienced with c++

cheers

> Louigi.

Hernán
http://h.ordia.com.ar