[CLAM] Alsa Error trying to run the "simple Network Example"

David Garcia Garzon david.garcia at barcelonamedia.org
Sat Aug 20 08:22:09 PDT 2011

Yep, when you use jack, jack takes the control of alsa drivers, and portaudio is unable to adquire them (although portaudio can choose either alsa or jack as backend, alsa is always taken by default). So the solution is, either stoping jack as murray suggested you, or choosing the JACKNetworkPlayer as backend instead the PANetworkPlayer if you want to use JACK as connection hub.

Regarding the error you say it seems that the processing is not configured, maybe a wrong path to the played file.

You can use the NetworkPlayer interface to see whether the network or the player is working properly. Maybe the mimimal example should be not that minimal and include those checks. You can use the following diagnosis methods:

player,IsWorking() // True if the backend works
player.NonWorkingReason() // An string telling why it does not work
network.HasMisconfiguredProcessings() // true if any processing is not properly configured
network.GetConfigurationErrors() // Returns a string with all the configuration errors
network.HasUnconnectedInPorts() // Returns true if any inport is not connected (unable to be run)
network.GetUnconnectedInPorts() // Returns an string containing the unconnected inports.

Regarding the results you get with TickExtractor, try with the example files in that repository, they used to work, if they don't then a regression happened.
svn co http://clam-project.org/clam_data/trunk/rythm_wavs/

And a potential source of regression could have been the port i did from a unmaintained resampling library to libsamplerate.  I must confess i did not tested the output numbers that much after the port just that it didn't crash as i havent the original results to do a back 2 back test.

David.