[Clam-devel] SMSTools visualization problems

David García Garzón dgarcia at iua.upf.edu
Wed Apr 25 13:55:10 PDT 2007

On Dimecres 25 Abril 2007, Hernán Ordiales wrote:
> hi all!
>
> I was (at least trying) playing with SMSTools app, but i had a
> problem: i can't visualize any data, and i have a lot of problems of
> windows redrawing...
>
> i tried many things without success... i have the same problem in all
> my computers, both ubuntu dapper and in a debian based distro (similar
> to studio64)
>
> I tried both with packages (for ubuntu dapper ones from last year) and
> compiled versions of my own.
>
> ideas?

Is OpenGl acceleration working? Are compiz or beryl running? They had problems
with multiple OpenGl port views. Any console output?

Any way, SMSTools has known X access race conditions, it may not work with a
concrete video driver.

> Then, i remembered why i didn't have played with SMSTools before, and
> the reason was that for me it crashed always but now i've discovered
> why: I have to kill jack daemon first and then works :-)
> It's a common issue don't? i mean conflicts with jack...

It is something the application should cope (audio device busy) in a different
way than crashing. Way for the eventual SMSTools rewrite or better, send a
patch ;-)

> In the another hand, in one of my computers i got a dirty sound when
> playing with SMSTools..., clues? (i have a SB Live 7.1 and by default
> works at 4800Hz, could be that?)

Could be. Check the console output. A dot means that there is some underruns
so you could need some realtime privileges.

> btw, i had to add fftw3 flag in SConstruct (SMSTools) to get compiled
> it when i updated from svn
> and "env.AppendUnique" seems not work with older python versions like
> 2.4 (i replaced it with only 'Append')

The proper way of adding it is using the 'with_fftw3' scons configure flag in
CLAM. Anyway this need was a temporary need. I added some code in clam that
used fftw3 without the mandatory #if USE_FFTW3. Sorry for that. Now it should
be fixed. Also Pau said in a previous mail that he changed the defaults so if
you want to use fftw2 instead fftw3 as it was now you should indicate that on
the 'scons configure' explicitly.

> Note: i was waiting for final feisty release to update, now i see it
> was released some days ago... maybe its time

Is feisty the stable one now? Ups, so let's move on to the next one.
Gutsy? ;-)