[Clam-devel] Developing with Network Editor

David García Garzón dgarcia at iua.upf.edu
Wed May 16 06:15:02 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 15 May 2007 20:34:45 Xavier Amatriain wrote:
> (And my last for the day ;)
>
> I have been doing some debugging using Network Editor these past days.
> Actually I have been using it in what should be one of its main
> settings: developing new processing classes. A few things have slowed
> down my development beyond what would be expected. Many of them deal
> with some build system issues already commented but I thought worthwhile
> listing them:
> - Library paths and multiple locations. Finding out what library
> NetworkEditor is liking against and which one is loading at run-time can
> be pretty challenging.

Just follow those guidelines:

Uninstall any official (/usr) packages when developing.

If you have more than one directory (horror!) be consistent on how many
unofficial install location you have.

If in doubt check the about box. It states independent version numbers
(including svn revision) for CLAM and the application. If they differ you may
be using libraries from a different location due to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

> - Multiple headers. After I solved the previous issue I realized that I
> could not debug anything in the /CLAM source tree without running the
> risk of losing my head. Having headers copied in three different
> locations is pretty insane when developing/debugging. Taking whatever
> you are developing outside of the main CLAM tree (and into
> NetworkEditor/processing for instance) should be the default recommended
> instructions.

One of the next planned SCons refactorings is removing the source copy it
does, which i think is the source of the problems. Isn't it? Of course,
installed headers and original headers are still a must.

> - Audio I/O weirdness. I still don't understand why Jack does work with
> some settings and not others or why I have to restart it every now and
> then. Having to use the Jack layer has not helped for developing
> (although it is an incredible feature otherwise) but I have not managed
> to get PortAudio to work, should it be working fine in Linux now?

Our office audio cards are not working properly for any purpose, (not just
CLAM) so we can not check audio so often. If you get any problem please
report. We could have missed that.