[Clam-devel] Re: adding spectrum magnitude to annotator discussion

David García Garzón dgarcia at iua.upf.edu
Wed Jul 4 07:43:51 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 04 July 2007 07:40:40 bennett kolasinski wrote:
> Hi David-
> Adding SpectrumMagnitude to ClamExtractorExample seems to really blow
> things up.  First off, ClamExtractorExample seems to be hanging on the call
> to restoring the XML file now (with the last patch I sent):
> CLAM::XMLStorage::Restore(toValidadDescription, poolFile);
>
> I'm not sure if it's actually hung or just taking a really long time to
> write what appears to be a 40.2 MB pool for a 3mb MP3 file.  Actually,
> looking at the file that was allocated, it looks like it hasn't been
> touched since it was initially written-- maybe the file has been written?
> do you have any reason to believe why XMLStorage::Restore() would hang
> (maybe because it's such a large XML file)?  I just set it to run with the
> 'time' command and will see if it finishes up (and how long it takes) by
> the time I wake up in a few hours.  Interestingly the pool file that was
> allocated on my hard drive was the same size whether I ran it with 512 bins
> or 10 bins.

Suspicious. Take a look to the actual content of the xml.

> Have you had a chance to run the patched ClamExtractorExample?  Am I
> running it correctly by simply passing the desired audio file into it?
>
> ./ClamExtractorExample mp3file.mp3
>
> ClamExtractorExample -s produces what appears to be a valid schema...
>
> BTW, I believe the code changes to PoolFloatArrayDataSource that you
> suggested are complete, but I don't want to send that patch until I get a
> fresh look at it in the morning.

Well, if you send it, we could help you more on giving you an

> Any ideas would be appreciated!  Is SpectrumMagnitude too... 'dense' (?)
> for Annotator?  Do we need a more efficient way of storing it than a
> plaintext file?

Yes we should have a more efficient way, but, the short goal now is not
storing spectrums but having FloatArrays with numeric bin labels and being
able to represent them. So a smaller array should do the work. So, keep your
focus and minimize distractions from it.

BTW, the TODO wiki is a nice tool set such focus. I would recommend you to
mark your current task and subtasks in a special way. Also, writting down all
those tasks you see but that go away from your current focus is a good
practice as let you take them out of your mind. Also to marking done task
with [[Image:done.png]] helps you to have the sensation of progress which can
motivate you a lot.

David.