[Clam-devel] Pitch-Shifting steps (harmonizer related)

Pau Arumi parumi at iua.upf.edu
Wed Jul 11 05:08:03 PDT 2007

En/na Hernán Ordiales ha escrit:
> Hi, first of all i hope you're not starting to hate me because all my
> mail traffic from last days :-)
> I've forgotten another thing (i'm losing my internet connection every
> 3 minutes and i had to write my previously mail very fast because i
> did not want that parumi or someone else wasted his time with
> something already solved, i really hate my ISP)
>
> In my last patch (attached in my previously mail) i had also added an
> adjust in InControl values making them relative to an equal-tempered
> scale for a better (an easy) 'musical' use. I mean now every 'unit' is
> equal with a semitone... then you have an octave between 0 and 11 (12
> is next octave).

Hernan,
you patches are ok with me. So now you can help yourself and
check-in your changes. Remember to do different commits for
different aspects.
You can also directly commit follow-up changes if you think they
are safe.

> Question 1: I'm using 'pow' function... do you think is worth to
> replace it with a fixed look-up table with 12 values? (but in this
> case user would only have 12 possible values, for example: 1.00, 2.00,
> ..., 11.00 but nothing else, now, with 'pow' he has the option of for
> example '3.15' if he needs it). I'm talking/asking about real-time
> costs of that operation (i'm think not much but i'm asking anyway)

I'm not sure about that. But I'm more inclined to do optimizations
only when a profiling tool shows what the bottleneck is (as someone
said: early optimizations are evil)

pau