[Clam-devel] Clam in the long run

Pau Arumi parumi at iua.upf.edu
Mon Sep 3 02:10:03 PDT 2007

En/na Moritz FISER ha escrit:
> Dear Clam Developers,
>
> I'm currently working on my first app. using the Clam Network. It is
> supposed to set up a Network at the start and then run for a looong time.

Hi Moritz, and welcome to develop with clam.

First note that I've manually accepted this mail as a list admin
since you where not subscribed. So please do it.

> So far it is working quite well, but after an uptime of a day it's
> running into troubles. Since I implemented the processings and
> networkplayer myself I'm not sure if I perhaps made a mistake concerning
> the usage of ports there.

Did you implemented a new networkplayer? For a new audio backend
maybe? A patch would be helpful (both player and processings).

> Anyway, I've analyzed the problem (which takes a while as you can
> imagine :P) and  tracked it down to the Consume() method in
> ReadingRegion.hxx, where mPos gets assigned Pos()+Hop(), which leads to
> an overflow of mPos in the long term of course, since it's called by the
> Do() of my processings every time.
> Before looking too far into it, I decided to ask here for some further
> help, since it could just be a usage error on my side. Hope I could make
> my problem clear,

It's difficult to judge with so few elements. I suggest some
actions:
- run (with a small input) with valgrind to detect mem errors or
leaks.
- try to reproduce it only with clam processings and network
player (instead of yours).
- send a patch so we can reproduce it here.

Don't hesitate to expand on what is your project about. There are
maybe things that could be integrated to clam?

Cheers!

Pau