[Clam-devel] Re: GSoC

Pau Arumí parumi at iua.upf.edu
Tue Apr 22 04:44:49 PDT 2008

(Natanael, I'm answering your mail to clam-devel)

As you'll infer from this mail, the gsoc projects have been assigned. I
leave further announcements and explanations for some other mail.
(Xavi?)

However, as quick comment i'd like to say that we have been very
fortunate to have outstanding good quality applications! unfortunately
we got fewer slots than excellent applications, so the decision has been
painful.
Congrats to the chosen ones! And thanks everyone who applied. We
encourage you all to keep involved and developing with Clam. Bear in
mind that core developers do the best to assist any interesting
development. This it is not limited to gsoc students in any way.

On dt, 2008-04-22 at 06:21 -0300, Natanael Olaiz wrote:

> I'll ask about the IDE in clam-devel. Do you want to send also the
> testing diff there? Will you create a specific GSoC list?

Well, most Clam developers use "normal" code editors --at least David
and me are gvim fans--. These are not really integrated IDEs but is
efficient anyway.

Kate or kdevelop sounds good for editing --and even debugging with gdb's
front-ends. But there is no point in integrating the scons based build
process. Just use a (maybe integrated) terminal for that.
Some time ago tried to integrate the build process inside Eclipse (there
is some doc about this in the wiki) but the results were not
satisfactory enough.

About preparing patches, the main rule is to do the svn diff being in
clam/ dir (below CLAM/). More instructions in the wiki's devel pages:
http://clam.iua.upf.edu/wikis/clam/index.php/Devel
Patches are to be sent to the devel list. In case we reach a point we
get too much traffic and is hard to track patches then we might switch
to manage them in the (bug)tracker. But not now.

About a specific gsoc list: we have no plans to create one. The idea is
that gsoc students ARE community developers. Of course, gsoc project
management and other private mentor-student communication we'll be kept
off-list.

Pau