[Clam-devel] Re: GSoC proposal for CLAM: Real-time synthesizer using SMS models

Han, Yushen yushen.han at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 00:28:39 PDT 2008

Hi,
Thank you for clarifying things and walking me into CLAM, Greg.
Now I get a better idea about the scope of the project.

While estimating the number of hours for my project,
I still expect for suggestions from my potential mentor  for the
following things:

(1) I think I need to choose between SPP and SMS in this situation.
Now I slightly favor SPP because it is very similar to what I am doing
right now.

In the light of that the 2004 paper
"Real-time Spectral Synthesis for Wind Instruments" By Mayor et al.
concluded "Spectral Peak Processing (SPP) achieved better sound quality"
I really want to know if you want me to focus on SMS for GSoC.

(2) It is still a question whether I could use the "original
recording" for SALTO?
If not, I would like use the pitched notes (with 3 velocities)
recorded in anechoic chamber
http://theremin.music.uiowa.edu/MIS.html
as I am using for my current research project.
(Please ask about this if you can, Greg. Thank you in advance!)
I did not try making database on my own, Greg,
but I think allowing the user to integrate their own samples into SDIF
database is a good idea.)

(3) As for the instrument in SALTO, am I supposed to pick up
saxophone? (soprano or alto?)
Or I can choose any woodwind instrument ( I prefer oboe in that case).

I am going to submit my proposal on Friday anyway.
Before that, I really appreciate if you can give clear answer for things above.

Best regards,
Han, Yushen