[Clam-devel] GSoC, patch and questions...

Natanael Olaiz nolaiz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 15:43:38 PDT 2008

Hi!

Thank you Xavier for the congratulations, I'm really excited to be in
the GSoC with CLAM!! :)

I want to take use of these next weeks to learn more about the platform,
and reinforce my skills in C++ and Python. So,
one of the first things I want to do is to buy some good books: any
suggestion is welcome.

To start learning the CLAM platform, Pau gave me this advice:

    If you want to take a small useful
    task, here goes one: "add Source/Sink by right clicking to a out/in
    audio port ". It shouldn't be very hard since taking the add-monitors as
    example. You can start with tentative code, that you can send as patches
    and we'll comment.

I did it partially (copying and pasting...), in a half way: to connect
the objects outputs to the AudioSink (I attached the patch file). But it
have a problem: it allows ALL TYPES output signals to connect to the
AudioSink.
I copied the monitor implementations, which search the monitors with the
same type than the output, doing: "factory.GetKeys("port_monitor_type",
outportTypeId(_processings[i]->model(),portindex))".
But I didn't found any similar descriptor (than "port_monitor_type") for
the input/output audio slots, so I used: "keys =
factory.GetKeys("description","AudioSink")" to search the AudioSink(s)
object(s), but without taking care to match the data types...

Then my questions are:
    - Using GetKeys("description","AudioSink") is a good way to match
those objects?
    - There is a descriptor similar to "port_monitor_type" for
input/output audio slots? If yes, where I can found it?
    - What is the better way to check the data types? (I think the
actual patch with a conditional could works..)

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Natanael.