[Clam-devel] Re: Zero crossings and so ons...

Greg Kellum greg.kellum at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 11:11:25 PDT 2008

Hi Yushen and Xavier,

> Hi, Greg
>
> 1. "Do you think you could identify zero crossings on the fly after
> you've already resynthesized your two new frames?"
> This is an interesting question and my answer is no. I can't do this
> unless I have the access to the samples in a frame. So far all I did
> is in the frame level. Is there anyway for me to operate on sample
> level?

I had actually forgotten how the looping was working.  I just went
back and looked at it, and I was surprised that it was crossfading the
spectral peaks rather than audio...  Hm...  Maybe, this is a good
thing though...  For each spectral peak you also have a phase value.
I didn't do anything with these though.  I just matched up the
frequency of the partials and crossfaded their magnitudes.  I would
think though that if you took the phase values of all the partials of
the end of the loop and assigned them to the partials at the beginning
of the loop this would work just as well as matching up the zero
crossings in the time domain, because then you are forcing the phase
of the start of the loop to be continuous with the phase of the end of
the loop...  But actually now that I think about it, the phase values
are already being corrected anyway.  The SMS synthesis should be over
writing the phases of each new frame so that it continues where the
last frame ended.  So, actually, the phases of the partials of the
overlapping frames should already be aligned.  I'm not sure what
happens with the residual...

Xavier Amatrian.  What do you have to say about this?  Is what I'm
saying correct?

> 4. For the "mock-up", do you mean something like a blue print of the
> interface that is not really sfunctional?
> If so, I can just use XCODE Interface Builder...

Yeap, I meant just a blue print of the interface that is not really
functional.  Interface Builder...  I've never used it.  You recommend
it?  I guess I should check it out...

Best,
Greg