[Clam-devel] Addressing foreign text encodings: a call for testing

David García Garzón dgarcia at iua.upf.edu
Sun Jul 6 12:46:04 PDT 2008

I am currently addressing a long lasting bug about text encodings: We are
unable to open files or folders with foreign (non english) characters such as
ñ,ç,á and non latin characters (chinese, and the like).

The first thing I addressed is configuration in the NetworkEditor of
AudioFileWriters/Readers.

I am using an utf8 system (ubuntu) and it works for me. But, before proceeding
with the rest of uses of file names, I am interested to know whether the
changes worked for local encoding not being utf8. So, if you have a different
encoding and want to help do the following:

- Recompile the last svn revision of the NetworkEditor
- Open it and drop a MonoAudioFileReader into the canvas
- Configure it to take a file which has some special characters in your
language
- If the processing is still in red after clicking ok, you got the bug, report
- Open the configuration dialog again if the special symbol is being displayed
wrongly, report
- Accept the configuration again, if now red, report
- Save the network and load it again, if now red, report
- Configure the processing, if the symbol now looks bad, report
- In any case, send me the network file so i can check the file encoding. If
you open it with an encoding aware editor, the symbols should look well in
utf8 mode.

To report send the network file and the encoding your system is using by
default.

I guess that all the step should work for any of you, but i am not sure about
the network output. XML should be utf8 but we could be encoding it using the
local encoding. (My local encoding is utf8 itself so i can't test that)

If that works i will proceed for the rest of the places using file names.