[Clam-devel] Re: A YES/NO question about the capability of the synthesizer & validity of the score

Pau Arumí parumi at iua.upf.edu
Fri Jul 11 09:40:50 PDT 2008

On dj, 2008-07-10 at 17:35 -0400, Han, Yushen wrote:
> Pau and Greg,
>
> I was talking to my professor who was an oboe player.
> He suggested that a new note should be identified explicitly in the score.
> This is because the length of the pipe in an oboe is changing as a new
> note is attacking.
> The musician made an explicit effort at the moment this transition.
>
> I am thinking of having explicit information over frames in the score:
> MIDI frequency brightness
>
> In case that the music is driven by an instrument that does not given
> pitch explicitly or the program is taking input from the
> pitch-tracking of an audio, the program should be able to make a
> decision on the fly.
>
> Does this make sense to you?

Yes. All sorts of instrument modeling techniques like the articulations
you mention are worth being considered and maybe implemented. Specially
the techniques that can take advantage of the underlying SMS spectral
model -- and thus can be differentiated from conventional samplers.d

Referring to the gsoc project, I'd give higher priority to the real-time
version -- that is, working in NE responding to osc events.  This should
not be very hard, hopefully.