TypedControls branch? was Re: [Clam-devel] Bug solved for deleting Out In Ports and Out In Controls

Hernán Ordiales h at ordia.com.ar
Thu Jul 17 11:01:45 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Pau Arumí <parumi at iua.upf.edu> wrote:
> On dj, 2008-07-17 at 14:10 -0300, Hernán Ordiales wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Pau Arumí <parumi at iua.upf.edu> wrote:
>>
>> > So I propose to create a branch in our subversion. This branch should
>> > live only during the controls transition, and the maintainers should
>> > keep all the changes in trunk commited in the branch. That is, in
>> > permanent state of merge with trunk.
>> >
>> > What do you think?
>>
>> I really like the idea. How we continue with this?
>
> Ok let's move quick. I've created a branch in commit 11621.
> Branches in svn are just copies. And they are cheap --it only copy files
> once are modified.
> So if there is some reason to not have such branch (maybe David have a
> reason against it) we'll roll it back easily.
>
> To checkout the branch (which is a copy of trunk/) do this:
>
> $ svn co http://iua-share.upf.edu/svn/clam/branches/typedcontrols
>
> I've asked the IUA sysadm to add Francisco as a commiter (this might
> take a day or so).  Hernan you can start commiting patches there.
>
> Hernan and Francisco, you should coordinate to keep adding all the
> changes in trunk to this branch, so we can keep in a "mergeable to
> trunk" state all the way. And of course, remember that this branch
> should be alive during a short lapse of time. Does it work for you?

Yes. For this kind of changes I think we can work better not having to
maintain an always compiling and working (without things broken)
trunk, i mean in every little commit, since the switch to
typedcontrols requires changes in a lot of places and it's really hard
to maintain small and independant. Hope that giving the advanced stage
of the patch this branch will be alive only for some days...

> Instructions on how to copy changes between brances:
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch04s03.html

ok, thanks!

> About the launch/bazaar thing: I think it's something we want to explore
> in the future. It gives any developer the possibility to work in his
> patches with a bazaar branch. Then commiters can pull (mergeable)
> changes and land it to the main repo.
> The nice thing is that bazaar (like git) is prepared to work with
> "merge" operations. And is distributed, of course.

Hernán
http://h.ordia.com.ar
GnuPG: 0xEE8A3FE9