[Clam-devel] Re: faust status

Pau Arumí Albó parumi at iua.upf.edu
Wed Jul 9 12:33:00 PDT 2008

El dc 09 de 07 de 2008 a les 15:46 -0300, en/na Natanael Olaiz va
escriure:
> El 07/09/2008 10:14 AM, David García Garzón escribió:
> > Wow. Dump such many screenshots to the Development screenshots wiki.
> >

> Added some, except the warning messages (maybe an animated gif could
> be better for that). BTW, if we use just one script to compile the
> faust files we could use QProcess.startDetached
> (http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/qprocess.html#startDetached) instead
> QProcess.start (http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/qprocess.html#start) and
> manage it as background process, so the NE will not be 'frozen' when
> compiling.

Just checked that on-the-fly faust coding is working. Awesome!!

Yes, a detached process will be nice. And yes, a make or scons script
will be useful to avoid unneeded recompilations.

If I understand correctly we are not using the faust provided make to
generate ladspas (.so) and diagrams (.svg) because it needs the faust
binary in the PATH.
Well, I think that requiring faust to be installed would be ok.
Instructing a user to download faust or download and install faust
doesn't make a big difference. Plus, we want to support the use case of
faust installed from a package and user's .dsp in a local dir (in
FAUST_PATH or FAUST_PATH/examples/).

What do you think?

Some small issues:

- Dropped-to-canvas faust processings have tiny diagrams here. Would be
feasible to scale them up?

- When clicking "Reload Faust modules" the warning window states "More
related features like svg embedding, bla bla will come soon.". This is
fortunately outdated.

- Proposed feature: when clicking this action, checks if the faust
binary is available, if not a window promopts to install the tarball,
with the url (not sure about instructing to install a package, because
of the writable .dsp examples issue)

- Hey, your screenshots have Sinks and Sources with svg diagrams. But
mines no. I want them! :-)