[Clam-devel] boost and clam

Hernán Ordiales h at ordia.com.ar
Mon May 18 07:54:12 PDT 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 6:19 AM, Dirk Griffioen
<dirk.griffioen at barcelonamedia.org> wrote:
> Hi,

> First just a note: the foreach macro looks really nice, however 'typeof' is
> not standard c++ (although the new standard will have it :)
>
> Regarding the boost style, you can approach this in 2 ways I think:
> - just use it and write own code in your own style, this is already done
> with STL
>
>         class AudioSink : public Processing
>         {
>         public:
>                 typedef std::vector<Port> Ports;
>
> - adapt to the boost/stl ('standard' :) naming convention, but retrofitting
> it to the codebase would be a very rigid approach
>
> Thirdly,  I do not know what 'clean c++' is ... but a shared pointer is not
> a boost thing, it's in my opinion the greatest thing since bread and butter
> because it relieves the coder from his own new/delete discipline (and
> garbage collectors are unnecessary too).
>
> I do agree the std::auto_ptr is not usable for it's strict ownership
> semantics, but a boost::shared_ptr has no such limits.

BTW, i have nothing against smart pointers, indeed i love them, my
comment was just because that i personally think that is better to
choose them when a project is starting from scratch. I haven't had
very good experiences adding shared pointers into existing code with
normal pointers, just that. About the whole boost thing, even i
personally agree as long as this not add more code complexity to the
end user (i mean beyond core developers)

cheers

> Best, Dirk

Hernán
http://h.ordia.com.ar