[clam-devel] Some experience with CLAM inside an audio club at FIUBA[0], Argentina

Hernán Ordiales h at ordia.com.ar
Fri Mar 5 22:36:21 PST 2010

As I promised to David, i'll tell you something about the source of
some of my last commits:

First, some background. About eight months ago, there was a foundation
of something like an "audio club" in my university. As soon i learned
about that, i quickly got in touch with them and noticed that there
was a major interest in analog issues (the only audio area with at
least elective, courses in the university). So i told them about all
the cool things that are available and ready to do with digital audio,
mostly signal processing related. I talked in general, but of course i
also talked about clam, with all its prototyping, real-time and easy
development of plugins features. Even many of them ended installing
and using it, and some even developing with more or less help.
One thing to notice is that most of them are students from first years
and most (but not all) are students with a basic programming level
(because they are from electronics) but strong dsp knowledge (behind
this is an university with more emphasis in theory than practice)

We started specifying plugins from a more abstract level
(inputs/outputs/controls) and generating the source code base using
CLAM's Templated Plugins Code Generator [2] and prototyping some
simple applications. But one of the things we ended up doing was to
take advantage of clam as platform to prototype medic related
applications like filter ECG signal from noise in realtime, and some
like _vice-versa_, i mean applying some processing knowledge from that
area to audio.

Some of that work (one hour per week average) it's now in the repo,
most remarkable i think are filters work, by above the adaptative
notch one (which even was used as a demo of a talk of one of the
members about the steepest descent algorithm and its application to
filter ECG signals)

Let's see what happen this year.

Some development screenshots:
http://clam-project.org/wiki/Image:FilterByCoefExample.jpg
http://clam-project.org/wiki/Image:FilterExample-LP-HP.jpg
http://clam-project.org/wiki/Image:ThreeBandFilterOutputWithWhiteNoiseAsInput.jpg
http://clam-project.org/wiki/Image:GaussianWhiteNoiseHistogram.jpg
http://clam-project.org/wiki/Image:UniformWhiteNoiseHistogram.jpg

Cheers

[0] FIUBA: Engineering Faculty of Buenos Aires University
[1] Group: http://code.google.com/p/club-audio-fiuba
     Source code repo: http://groups.google.com/group/club_de_audio_fiuba
[2] http://audiores.uint8.com.ar/blog/2009/08/17/showing-a-little-about-clam-as-a-prototyping-tool-at-the-audio-club-of-fiuba/
--