[CLAM] Problems using jackdmp instead of jackd on OSX

Stéphane Letz letz at grame.fr
Tue Feb 6 02:20:31 PST 2007

Le 6 févr. 07 à 02:38, Pau Arumi a écrit :

> Hi Stéphane,
> it's nice to see you by the clam list again :-)

Hi Pau,

>> It seems to work, but what would be the good what to package CLAM
>> then?
>>
> That's a good question. We'd like to not require the users have
> jack installed
> (in osx at least), so that's why we bundle libjack.dylib together
> with the app
> (the lib functions can see if the jackd is running or not, and try
> to start it).

But what happens for the jack *server* part? You're not distributing
the jackd itself? so you're supposing a server is already installed
right?

> If I understand well, the problem with that approach is that we
> cannot choose
> a different jack implementation (jackdmp) or even a different jackd
> version
> (from the library version).

Yes.

> AFAIK, other jack-aware apps,  Ardour and Hydrogen for instance,
> does (statically)
> link with libjack.

Ardour does not link statically. You can switch it to use jackdmp
without problem. I don't know for  Hydrogen.

> So they have the same problem, or worst because you cannot "link"
> libjack.dylib to libjackdmp.dylib for instance.

The current "solution" is to have the jackdmp installer change the
libjack.dylib link to point on libjackmp.dylib. Then it is
transparent for applications.

> I've been also looked into the jackosx since you are one of the
> authors, to see if jackpilot
> could handle both jackd and jackdmp but it does not. (i can start
> jackdmp  by
> commandline) but jackpilot refuses to open.

Yes the current JackOSX 0.74 version does not support easy switch to
jackdmp. The jackdmp "installer" (well a install script right now)
just provide a special jackdmp aware version of JackPilot (http://
www.grame.fr/~letz/jackdmp.html)

> So can you think in any flexible solution on mac osx allowing to
> choose the two jack
> implementations? (not requiring jack system-wide installation is a
> plus)
> Maybe only use jack through the JAR (jack-audio-router coreaudio
> driver)?
>
> Pau

I don't think having the libjack part in the CLAM package is a good
idea, since in any case the user will have to install the server
part. I think a more flexible approach is to use normal "dynamic"
linking.

Stephane