[CLAM] request

abe abe.kazemzadeh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 14:21:29 PDT 2007

Hi Liviu,

If you need to calculate acoustic similarity, you can use dynamic time
warping (DTW, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_time_warping ), which
basically windows the speech from the target and test files, extracts
features for each frame, and aligns them in the best possible way.  The
algorithm defines a cost for insertion and deletion of frames and the
similarity of the features, so the overall cost (or the cost normalized
for the length of the file) provides a good measure for difference.
There's other refinements to the algorithm.

Clam can do the feature extraction, but I'm not sure if there's the dtw
algorithm (I'm in the process of learning clam so I'm not an expert), so
that might be something you'll have to do yourself.  I've used this
methodology for comparing accents (native speaker vs non-native speaker
reading the same sentences).   Back then I used HTK for the feature
extraction and a perl script for the dtw.

Hope this helps and maybe stimulates more ideas for doing it with clam...
Abe