[CLAM] newbie

Hernán Ordiales h at ordia.com.ar
Wed Apr 16 10:47:01 PDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:57 PM, Agustin Cortés <agucortes at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi, i'm new in the clam comunity, and i'm writing a program to analyse
>  audio in real time. I look up for clam, but i can't find any useless
>  tutorial to really know how the data is read. I mean, when i work with
>  the inport, how can i acces the data? how can i apply a filter that i
>  make my self?. The program that i'm making have to acces read the
>  audio port, and apply 3 filters to the audio data, a high-pass filter,
>  a med-pass filter and a lower pass filter. Then i send the result to 3
>  diferent adress of a port (each one correspond to each filter).
>  If someone can give me any tutorial or example for what i'm traying to
>  do i'll be very greatfull.

Hi Agustin,

Did you see these tutorials in the wiki?
http://clam.iua.upf.edu/wikis/clam/index.php/Main_Page#Development

For example, to build your own filter, give a look at:
http://clam.iua.upf.edu/wikis/clam/index.php/Creating_a_minimal_processing_object

Also there a lot of examples at 'CLAM/examples/' directory

If you're a bit lost i'd recommend you start with something simpler
(like connecting a source to a sink) and then start adding complexity
step by step (sometimes, for a particular problem, is better ask
showing some code)

For new processes, I also recommend you a plugin approach
(http://clam.iua.upf.edu/wikis/clam/index.php/Building_a_processing_library)

Remember, with clam, you can take different approaches to solve the
problem, i.e. and standalone command line application, coding all by
hand (of course with the help of the framework) or solve it building a
network of processings (a lot already available) with the
NetworkEditor (and possibly creating new processings needed like
plugins) and then play it inside the editor or also you're able to run
it from a standalone command-line app (indeed you can associate it to
a GUI, mapping controls and monitors)

cheers,
--
Hernán